Building Mental Toughness
How to Bounce Back Quickly from Setbacks and Adversity
Speaker: Peter Sullivan [Profile]
How often do we see talented people fail to achieve their full potential?
Having a high IQ and a good education are important ingredients in a successful life. These attributes gain entry into 'the game' but they alone are not sufficient in themselves to guarantee success. The ability to manage adversity, stay motivated and focused under pressure is a hallmark of very successful people.
Years of research by Professor Martin Seligman has demonstrated the key to success is resilience. Resilience is the ability to stay optimistic, endure adversity and not falter, it is a vital determinate of achievement in school work and life. Resilience is also about the persistence necessary to bounce back from setbacks and stay focused on goals.
The resiliency factor is what creates results beyond what mere talent would suggest. It is the ingredient that maximises ability, especially during times of change and adversity.
Resilience has proven to be a powerful predictor of performance, wealth and health.
Key contents of the presentation include:
- Evidence on how resilience is a core factor in achievement
- Developing the mindset that gives you an unfair advantage
- The importance of optimism and its link to resilience
- Managing negative emotions especially in difficult circumstances
- How to bounce back quicker from setbacks
- Overcoming adversity and staying focused on goals
- Enhancing mental toughness and persistence
- How to be more proactive on the high payoff activities
Client outcomes achieved:
- Workplace engagement has improved by 20% in participants.
- The ability to manage negative emotions and adversity is up an average of 48%.
- Confidence improvement of 37%
- Ability to adapt to change up 30%
Sample participant comments:
- I've noticed my everyday life is smoother and I'm calmer than I've ever been before. This is leading to me getting more success and achievement in my life.
- Since doing the workshop I have become more focused on my original goals, that is, to make this office a success. The training has helped me reinforce my positive approach and recognize when my negativity has hindered my productivity.
- I've noticed the difference in how the team now communicate in a positive way.